National, regional security councils announce joint annual plan

Addis Ababa, November 11, 2017 (FBC) – The national and regional states’ security councils have announced their joint annual plan that took into consideration the current peace and security situations in the country.

The announcement was made here yesterday during a discussion held between Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn and chief administrators of regional states, mayors of city administrations, heads of federal and regional security forces as well as commanders of defense forces.  

Siraj Fegesa, Minister of Defense and Head of the Councils, told journalists after the discussion that the plan will govern the peace and security situations of the country for the coming one year. An agreement was reached on the plan, he said.

He further said the meeting also assessed the peace prevailed in the country last year and this year. According to the evaluation, he said, the country is at good peace and security, except in some places after the lifting of the state of emergency.

The plan, which took into account the current reality in the country, will be put into operation at all levels- from the federal up to Kebele levels, Siraj said.

He said the security force is doing more than ever before to ensure the sustainability of the ongoing development works in the country as well as to rehabilitate those displaced by the border conflict between the Oromia and Ethiopian Somali regional states.

Investigation is underway to identify government officials who took part in the conflict and once the investigation is completed, they will face justice, he indicated.

Translated and posted by Amare Asrat