Donald Trump cancels February visit to UK

Addis Ababa, January 12, 2018 (FBC) - Donald Trump has cancelled a planned visit to the UK in February, where he had been expected to open a new 1 billion US dollars US embassy in London.

In a tweet, the US president said he was not a "big fan" of the new embassy - which is moving from Mayfair to south London - saying it was a "bad deal".

The old site was sold by Barack Obama's administration for "peanuts", he added.

The trip was not the controversial full state visit offered by Theresa May, for which no date has yet been set.

Downing Street declined to comment on Mr Trump's cancellation of the trip.

The US embassy move was confirmed in October 2008, when President George W Bush was still in the White House.

However, Mr Trump blamed former president Mr Obama's administration for selling "perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for peanuts".

He said the new building in Vauxhall, south London, was in an "off location", adding: "Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"

The ribbon-cutting ceremony may instead be hosted by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

Source: BBC

Posted by Amare Asrat