AMISOM discuss on transfer of security responsibilities to Somali national security forces

Addis Ababa, April 14, 2018 (FBC) - AMISOM military commanders have been urged to implement the transition plan as per dictates of the UN Security Council resolution on gradual reduction of troops serving in Somalia.

AMISOM’s sector commanders’ conference was held yesterday to discuss issues related to the transition and transfer of security responsibilities to the Somali national security forces as mandated by the Council late last year.

AMISOM is expected to gradually reduce the number of its troops serving in Somalia and reconstitute its forward operating bases with the cooperation of the Somali national security forces to ensure national security is not compromised during the transition period.

The Deputy Special Representative of the Chairperson of the AU Commission for Somalia, Simon Mulongo, said the transition process would require doubling of efforts to further degrade and defeat the Al-Shabaab to a level that it cannot pose serious threat to the Somali national security forces.

He reiterated that AMISOM is focused on implementing the transition plan and urged troops to readjust their strategies in the fight against Al-Shabaab insurgents.

Mulongo said the first phase of the transition plan would last four years and success would be measured against the ability of the country to conduct peaceful and secure one-person-one-vote elections in 2020, which, he noted, would be a major milestone if successful.

AMISOM will draw down by 1,000 in October 2018.

Posted by Amare Asrat