Fana: At a Speed of Life!

RMI announces $1M grant for rural electrification in Ethiopia

Addis Ababa, October 14, 2020 (FBC) – Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) announced a 1 Million USD grant from the IKEA Foundation to enable rural communities in Ethiopia to gain access to renewable energy and create new opportunities for income generation by using energy effectively.

According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), just 45 per cent of Ethiopians have access to electricity, which means more than 50 million people lack access to energy.

Ethiopian has prioritized universal access to electricity and aims to reach 100 per cent electrification by 2025, with 35 per cent of the population utilizing off-grid energy solutions and the other 65 per cent of the country connected to the grid.

IKEA Foundation support will enable RMI’s Ethiopia program to focus on drastically increasing the efficacy of rural electrification programs by stimulating local economic development in communities.


You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.